Monday, November 19, 2012

Digital Blasphemy

Ryan Bliss started a little online site called Digital Blasphemy in 1997.  His goal was to create 3D computer generated images and sell them as backgrounds for desktops.  He put his site up in 1997 and started doing projects that had odd "outer space" characteristics.  His older work was pretty awesome for the time in how realistic it looked given what software he was using.  As time rolled along his software and his art became much more realistic looking and much more complex.

His early work looked like this:

While his newer stuff is much more detailed and real life looking: 


Once he created the site and started putting up his backgrounds, he received quite a following quickly.  The gaming community really took a liking to most of his work and began spreading it through the internet.  I first learned about his work in the early 2000's and really took a liking to it and almost always had one of his images as my desktop background.  His work really speaks to me because it is all stuff that does not really exist and yet it looks like something that could be real.  

He does have a "members section" that allows for people who donate to get special pieces and newly released stuff but almost all of his work can be found for free.  I am not sure if he makes enough money from his backgrounds to live off of or if he has another job but I would be curious to know.

Either way, his work is really cool and I oftens till find myself adding them as my backgrounds.


No comments:

Post a Comment